Lab related Stuff!All new lab entrants are requested to go through this page for best usage of lab resources. Although, you are not expected to become or possess beforehand the knowledge of R. Stallman or L. Torvalds, some basic information will certainly help you in better system usage.
- For getting login, please collect form from Anup Shetty and get it signed by your advisor/guide. Then come to Deven or myself for creating the login. If you have done so already, please read on ahead.
- Most of our computers run some distribution of the GNU/Linux OS.
All these computers are networked, you can sit on any computer with the
same login and your home directory( similar to "My Documents" folder )
- Our lab IP domain is 10.107.23.* where *=1-127. For Windows
computers, replace 23 by 151.
- This is possible because of Network File System(NFS) servers running in the lab. There are 4 NFS servers one each for PhD, M.Tech+DD, UG+PS and a common data share. IPs are 10.107.23.30,25,16 and 2. NEVER reboot these computers without permission. In any case, you are urged never to reboot any computer in the lab without permission.
- Check the power supply to hub first and turn on the UPS there
- Power on 10.107.23.30
- Power on the other NFS servers in any order
- Use "ssh -Y" while logging remotely to some other computer. This generally automatically exports the DISPLAY also.
- Try to use the MATLAB installed on the high end computers, 10.107.23.XX(XX=31,32,2,3,4). Try to use them for running heavy codes.
- If you want some software to be installed, please mail me. I shall try to do it as soon as possible. However, do not ask to install "evince" when xpdf already exists!! Most GNU/Linux systems distributions in the lab have almost all packages needed by the normal user.
- pidgin is the substitute for gaim.
- Please put any data(audio,video etc) you would like to share and academic material in the /data/files partition. You will not be able to write to this directory directly. Copy whatever you want to share to the /data/dump directory. You can add delete or subtract from this directory till next day afternoon. A script will automatically copy this directory to the /data/files with the same name. You canNOT change anything there, please contact the syads.
- For any problem, contact me directly or mail me at krishnan@ee or my phone number is 09869104454.
© 2007 V. Srikrishnan | Design by Andreas Viklund