Easternmost (next to the lift)
- Phone (O): +91-22-2576-7483
- Phone (R): +91-22-2576-8483
- E-Mail: asethi[AT]ee.iitb.ac.in
I work in image processing, computer vision, and machine learning. For the last few years I have been working in deep learning and its application to digital pathology for analysis of cancer tissue images.
- PhD in ECE from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2006
- MS in GE from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2001
- BTech in EE from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi in 1999
- Research Interests
- The basic method of analysis of visual patterns of cancer tissue has not changed for more than a century. Take a piece of tissue, stain (dye) it with chemicals to highlight certain sub-cellular structures or proteins, and observe it under a microscopy to make a manual judgement about presence, severity, and outcome of a disease. With whole slide scanners, high resolution infrared micro-spectroscopes, graphics processing units (GPUs), and deep convolutional neural networks, it is time to change that. We work on developing algorithms to analyze cancer tissue images for precision oncology. Our aim is to not only bring accuracy, precision, and efficiency to routine cancer pathology, but to devise studies and algorithms, to train and test computers for new tests that help in treatment planning and prevention of cancers.
- Work Experience
- Adjunct Instructor in Pathology at UIC 2015-present
- Assistant Professor in EEE at IIT Guwahati 2011-2017
- Consultant at ZS Associates Chicago 2006-2011